Skip navigation

We broke out the hydrometer and took a look at the two different wheat beers that we are fermenting right now. The same base beer, 50% pilsner malt, 50% wheat malt, but two different yeast strains. We tossed in WLP 300 in one and WLP 400 in the other. That’s the beauty of always having to split your batches. We went with a lower than normal fermentation temp for the first week, 62 F, and that was fine for the WLP 300 which was sitting at 1.013 gravity after 10 days. The WLP 400 did not like the lower temp and was only at 1.022. We turned up the temp controler and bam! the whole place went nuts. bubbles from the WLP 400! Huge movement. We are going to brew a proper Wit tomorrow with spices, oats, and all. More updates from the brew kettle.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: