Skip navigation

Monthly Archives: August 2010

We kegged the Blonde Ale (no pictures, sorry).

SG: 1.101 or alcohol of 6.02%. A bit out of style. Color and flavor are spot on, however. Will be really good when properly cold and carbonated.

We also measured and marked the carboys. We have been over filling the big ones and under filling the small. We have two 5 gals, one 6.5 gal, and one 7.5 gal. We also have another 6.5 gal that cracked. Funny how no two are the same.

Fridge now has 20 gallons in kegs. Actually ~18 as we have been sampling the SNPA clone.

Advertisements

The first resident of our new fridge is our two week old Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone (I think we need to come up with a better name for it).

We are dialing in the temperature and hope to get good results. We have other ideas for temperature control, but we may luck out with the stock thermostat.

We found this display merchandiser on Craigs list. Good price and in better than fair condition.

We can fit twelve Cornileus kegs or eight carboy fermenters.

Overkill? It will make for a great lagering chamber that we can serve from as well.

All we need now is a controller to dial in temperature as this unit is optimized for 34 to 38 degrees.

I don’t know why I still get excited by active yeast. Maybe it was all those failed fermentations of my youth using the yeast packet taped to the bottom of the extract can.

White Labs rocks!

If only we had more room in the cooler. It would have been nice to have the Sierra Nevada clone fully finish fermenting while in the glass under lower temps.

Have we said we needed another freezer?

We had to keg our Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone in order to make room for our Blond Ale in the freezer. We need another refrigerator/freezer to do more than 10 gallons.

This weekend’s brew is 10 gallons of a blonde ale. We are using the recipe from the book “Brewing Classic Styles.”

This is another beer for John’s party.

One day later and the fermenters are active. Hoping to keg soon so we can do a blonde ale right away. We really need another chest freezer.

 

We were fortunate to have fresh, homegrown hops for this batch.

We were able to use a lot of our new equipment. We calibrated our sight glasses (from http://www.brewhardware.com/), dialed in the autosparge and tested the new thermometers.

The site glasses worked well. One did not seal well with the thermometer, but we were able to wrap a few extra rounds of Teflon tape around it and stop the leak.

One of our analog thermometers read too low by 12 degrees and one of the new digitals was DOA (hoping it is only a dead battery).

The autosparge worked well for the re-circulation and for the early parts of the sparging but, eventually, you need to empty the mash tun and this is only accomplished by turning off the filling pump.

Today we brewed a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone. The recipe was pulled from the Northern Brewer forum. The beer is for our friend John’s party next month. He joined us on Brew day.