Skip navigation

Monthly Archives: April 2012

We brewed a very big barleywine.   We used more than 41 lbs of grain.

image

Our mashtun was only barely able to do the job.

image

We used only 1qt of water per lb and our efficiency was low (65%). 

We used a pound of hops, with a couple ounces of whole hops in our hop rocket.

image

We managed to crossthread the clamp on the hop rocket while taking it apart.   Bummer.

The final gravity was a bit under our hoped for 1.114 but we did hit 1.100.  We pitched directly on to our XPA yeast cakes.

We have lots of ideas for this beer, including oak aging and souring a portion.  For now, we let our yeast do its thing.

Advertisements