Skip navigation

We brewed a very big barleywine.   We used more than 41 lbs of grain.

image

Our mashtun was only barely able to do the job.

image

We used only 1qt of water per lb and our efficiency was low (65%). 

We used a pound of hops, with a couple ounces of whole hops in our hop rocket.

image

We managed to crossthread the clamp on the hop rocket while taking it apart.   Bummer.

The final gravity was a bit under our hoped for 1.114 but we did hit 1.100.  We pitched directly on to our XPA yeast cakes.

We have lots of ideas for this beer, including oak aging and souring a portion.  For now, we let our yeast do its thing.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: