Skip navigation

image

We are giving the Kolsch style another run.  Our last attempt yielded a good beer except for the overwhelming flavor of band aids.  Yes, chlorophenolic hell. 

It was so bad that we dumped the entire batch.  Not fun.

This time was not without drama as we had super efficiency (initial measurement is close to 90%), a yeast that does not want to start and yet another boilover.

Solutions:
The boilover was before the hop addition (low alpha Hallertau) so we did not lose any bittering.  We now have a spray bottle full of water on hand to stop this from repeating. 

The efficiency leaves us with a beer that had an OF of 1.060 when we were shooting for 1.048.  We will add some water to thin it out before we pitch. 

The yeast problem will resolve itself, hopefully, as the starter has been going for only 22 hours.  If not, we buy 4 more yeast units and pitch straight from the vials.

The wort tasted fantastic.   Hoping this one works.

image

We also spent some time kegging the blonds we brewed last time.  They had a very vigorous fermentation.

image

We also spent some of the 90 minute mash and 90 minute boil cleaning kegs and our big fridge.  Strange to see it empty.  

image

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: